Friday, July 13, 2007

070713 One week to go.

The house has another contract – unlike the previous people, the current buyer seems to be a reasonable chap and is from Toowoomba. He has accepted the fact that the house is twenty years old and has some imperfections.

The previous buyers seemed to think that I was personally commissioned to create their dream home and sent me a list of demands with the shortcomings of my design. They asked that, among other things, the back fence be replaced simply because it could not be determined whether it was made from treated timber. The reason that we have a fence is to mark the property boundary, keep intruders out and to provide some privacy. These people seem to think that the purpose of a fence is to provide something that termites can’t eat.

They proposed that I lower the price significantly.

I have some experience with negotiating with major telecommunications carriers and one of the neat tricks is to never say “no” and be the reason for the end of the deal – I would always say “yes - with conditions” . They could to accept one of these:
1) I will fix every demand on their list – in return they will pay the full advertised price.
Or; I will agree to the reduction – in return they must settle in seven days.
Or; I will not do anything and let the current contract run its course.
Or; NO!

My eldest son passed his license test on Wednesday. Short story – he will get the car while he finishes school while we are in Hong Kong. This must be a dream come true for a young man. He will have an “all expenses paid” car and his parents are not only out-of-town but completely out of the country. As a way of reducing the stresses on him during his final year of school, we have decided to pay him not to go to work at the local shops.


No comments:

Post a Comment