Wednesday, July 2, 2008

0807012330 - Scooters


Scooters.
Paris is full of scooters. Here a few scooters that zoomed passed me today. I have been looking forward to a new motorbike ever since that dreaded day when a big white movingvan carrying my K1200S disappeared into the distance leaving me alone and motorbikeless.

First up, here is a mess of thoughts :I used to have a motorbike and I would like to have another. I live in Hong Kong where the entire island is a 60 km/h zone. I have a regular job and so I need to get to work everyday. Although I am quite happy to take Hong Kong’s magnificent MTR to the Kowloon side, I would also like to be able to ride from Stanley into the city and be able to explore Hong Kong on weekends. I do not need, nor would I like to have, another sport/touring bike like a BMW K1200S while I live in Hong Kong. Riding a sport bike at 50km/h would be torture - I don’t know why anyone in Hong Kong would buy a Ferrari and have to idle that V12 engine around in second gear.
Choosing my next bike is a problem that I am very happy to have. The process of figuring out the code used by BMW for describing the engine and model was entertaining and after about an hour in the BMW showroom I had a good idea of what I wanted. I have gone through a similar process finding a new Scooter. Research into my next trusty steed began in a slow progressive way, first simply noticing what scooters were available and then looking for a scooter that had that certain special something - one that looked good. I did a Google image search for scooters just to see what I liked then I applied these simple principles:
Step one - clear my mind of all motorcycle prejudices.
Step two - disregard external opinions, I am buying a motorbike for me.
Step three - consider everything, even if only briefly, even if it is a scooter.
Step four - I am a contracted Native English Teacher with a limited income.
I gradually dwindled the list of possible bikes down to four scooters for serious consideration.
The Yamaha TMax 500, the Gilera Nexus 500, the Piaggio MP3 or the Vespa GTS 250ie.
I really liked the 2007 Yamaha TMax but Yamaha made a few style changes that I believe appeal to a different demographic. I just didn't like the 2008 model because of changes the wheel design from a sporty alloy to an all black cast metal style that makes the Tmax look cheap and agricultural. A simple silver rim would have clinched the deal for Yamaha. The Gilera Nexus 500 - why get a scooter that looks like a sports bike? Why not just get the sport bike? Nice scooter. The Piaggio MP3 - very interesting front end - that amazing three wheel setup is a work of a genius. A three wheeled bike that tips over - why didn’t anyone think of that before.
I am seriously considering a Vespa. The Vespa GTS 250ie with ABS. Blue, maybe silver-grey like my old K1200S, the old standard issue Ford Falcon and the old Hyundai.
The Vespa was designed by an aeronautical engineer who did not like motorbikes. Seriously - the story is all here. http://www.piaggio.com.au/Products/GTS250ie.html

1 comment:

  1. You know this blog will become a book, right? I do so enjoy reading your entries...can't wait to see what you do end up buying.

    ReplyDelete