Friday, June 27, 2008

0806262330 Things that I think of when I look at the Eiffel Tower

I am a bit behind on the events - I have a writers block.


Here are a few things that I am reminded of when I see the Eiffel Tower.





The top of the Eiffel Tower




Things that I think of when I look at the top of the Eiffel Tower.








One night after an amazing French dinner of fresh crusty baguettes, creamy and tasty French cheese and exotic French delicacies from the local Parisian delicatessen, Rachel Ruby said that some exercise would be a nice way to end the day. Rachel Ruby asked Alex if he would like to go for a jog around Paris. The reply from Alex indicated that he was not entirely enthusiastic. I sat at the table listening to my children talk about exercise and I remembered how I used to exercise in the army and how, until recently, I used to get up at five in the morning to help some dear friends lose weight, get fit and build confidence. There was a short pause in the conversation between Alex and Rachel Ruby when I almost perceived a distant voice - “Dad, would like to go for a jog around Paris with me?” - was this my subconscious transmitting into my aural pathway? It was real. I was honoured. I had to think if I could really keep up with Rachel Ruby - among her many talents, Rachel Ruby is also a ballet dancer and a rugby player. If I agree to this, will my forty-three old frame be able to withstand the rigors of a gruelling training schedule demanded by a fit and healthy sixteen years old “young woman”? Ok says me to myself - just do it.

I answered with a casual, “Sure, I’ll be glad to, I thought you would never ask.”
A few minutes later we had planned to run around the only park that we knew well in our local area - the Champs de Mars near the Eiffel Tower.
Since then we have been going to the park near the Eiffel tower every night. The Champs de Mars around the Eiffel Tower pays homage to the French invention of the metric system. The park is exactly 1,000m long and exactly 250m wide. These dimensions make it fairly easy to work out how far we have to run. Rachel Ruby has yet to be introduced to the 'calibration run'.
When we moved to Hong Kong, I had the opportunity to get to know Hugo a lot better when we both went to his school and scout activities. Now I have a chance to get to know Rachel Ruby a bit better when we talk while exercising around the Eiffel Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment