Saturday, February 24, 2007

0702232210 Other Skills

I have to learn a few new skills.
A week before Christmas one of my bosses three levels up was promoted and as a result I was transfered to a different department. Suddenly I was a 42 year old 'new guy'. Although I have over 15 years experience in this company as a radio design technician, I was treated as a new apprentice. They even showed me where the fire exits are located. The guy that was to become my 'supervisor' was introduced as a "father figure" and everyone in his little section hate him. I have seen the look on their faces when we have meetings - nobody speaks- they have the expressions of beaten dogs. For 5 weeks they all waited for an instruction book on what to do with me. I initiated meetings with my new managers to discuss my role but the meetings were cancelled by them. I asked to be made redundant but they said I was too valuable. We shall see. Suddenly I have to learn a whole new job and frankly, I don't want to. I used to enjoy doing well in my previous job well. "Take it as a new challenge" says the good voice in my head - "show 'em what you can do" it says. I would like that, but I can't find the energy to get inthusiactic about it. Maybe if I didn't also have to do my previous job until they find a replacement.
So as I was saying - I have to take a few vital skills:
  • Learn a new career as a telecommunications strategic planner
  • Learn a new language in preparation for living in Hong Kong
  • Learn how to operate a blog.
  • Learn how to remain calm for my family as they undergo this exciting and stressful time

Monday's goal for work - take a long drive and visit my northern sites - drive until lunch time, have lunch, then drive back. Claim a 15 hour day.

No comments:

Post a Comment