Tuesday, March 20, 2007

0703200530 Cantonese classes on Tuesday nights

Learning Cantonese.
I look forward to my Cantonese classes on Tuesday nights. My goal today is to learn how to greet Ma Tai Tai in Cantonese with something witty and intelligent. The Chinese, according to the University of Queensland course notes, don't have a way of saying “good afternoon”, but instead they greet each other with a question about what they think they are doing – for example, I would greet Ma Tai Tai with the Chinese version of “Teaching us today?” or “Have you been shopping for Dim Sun?” This way of greeting someone from Australia, with a question about what they are doing, would prompt a response like: “Where's your badge constable?' or “Do I ask you about your love life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment