Saturday, March 24, 2007

0703242130 Yellow is one of the Windows 3.1 colors.

As you can see from the add on this page, I am selling my gorgeous BMW K1200S. I put it in for its 30,000km service on Thursday to make sure that it is good enough for some unknown buyer. I have replaced the oil, the coolant, the filters, the front tyre and the brake pads.

We are all familiar with the process of authorized dealers – you take in your car and they try to find something that they charge you $1000 to fix. Its like a game - except it uses real money. The BMW dealer called me:
“Your brakes are shagged” says the voice of the BMW qualified service technician. “Do you mean that the brake pads have reached the end of their service life? – or is there a problem with the ABS, the brake pressure servos or is it a mechanical problem with the mounting? Can you be more specific?.
Five seconds of silence.
“Umm the brake pads are worn down and the metal has scored the disk, you will have to replace it.” Came the reply.
I have a personal policy that when these people find a problem AND they offer to solve it by the most expensive method, then I will not give them the job. A scored disk is not a problem. The bike will stop. It might squeak for a few days, but it will still work.
“Is that really necessary?” I ask, knowing full well the answer is no.
“Well it….might umm…” replied the technician.
“You can replace it, but you will have to make it a gift.”
They are not acting in my best interest. First of all they try the oldest trick – the ol’ brake-disk-needs-replacing routine. I am insulted that they think that I am that stupid. They could have asked if I wanted it machined, or tell me that it will be alright until the next service or at least tell me the cost. He never once told me the cost – only that it was “shagged” and that I was going to pay for it.

I now have to update all my adds with the 30,000 km service completed with new tires and brakes. Next month I will ride it on a 5000km return trip to Victoria.

One day at work I was asked to research and then buy a data-projector. My research suggested that a Sony was the best deal at the time. The managers said that I had to buy one from our contracted supplier. My decision was overridden. The projector was “procured” from our contracted supplier at twice the price. A few days later one of the engineers asked me to look at the projector because they could not get the color right – it would not make the color yellow.
I tested it and sure enough, I could not adjust it to make yellow – it would make light green, but not yellow. 20 electrical engineers tried and failed. I returned it and they said that I should have bought the next model up – it makes yellow.
“Do you mean that out of the 4096 colors it claims to be able to make, that yellow is not included?”
“Well; it….might ummm..”
“One of the primary colors is not included?”

They replaced the unit with a more expensive one that makes yellow. It broke down two days later. An overheating alarm triggered an automatic shutoff.
I returned it, and now I get to the point of this story. When I returned the faulty projector, they said that I had filled in all the forms correctly. Now here is the point.
“Aren’t you ashamed that your customers know how to do that?” I asked.
“What do you mean?” As if this was a strange question.
“A customer should never see that form. Your managers should never see that form. If a customer brings back a faulty projector, you should be scratching your heads in bewilderment that one of your best products has actually found its way back to you in such a state. If there is a problem – you should go to them and replace it, apologise for the inconvenience – then take the faulty one away.”

After that, when it stopped working, I would answer with: “Your problem, I wanted a Sony.”

p.s. Electroboard have stopped selling LightPro projectors.

Reference:
www.electroboard.com.au
http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22033

No comments:

Post a Comment